MOROSIL® is a standardized solid extract obtained from the juice of a unique cultivar of Moro red oranges (Citrus sinensis). The Moro orange appeared in the south-east of Sicily at the beginning of 20th century and is believed to have originated from a budding mutation of a pigmented cultivar. The colour of the orange flesh is an intense violet-red, at times almost black, due to the high content of anthocyanins. These features only develop when orange trees are grown in the specific climatic and environmental conditions of the small area in eastern Sicily.
WHAT IT DOES
Active compounds contained in Moro juice, unlike other orange varieties, have been shown to possess an important activity against fat accumulation and obesity in animal model. This anti-obesity effect was attributed to synergistic mechanism related to the whole pool of biophenols contained in enriched blood orange extract (1,2).
HOW TO USE
MOROSIL® can be used in dietary supplements (capsules, tablets, granules,sachets) and functional foods (solids and instantaneous drinks ) for weight-management.
SCIENTIFIC INVESTIGATIONS OF THE WEIGHT-CONTROL EFFECT OF MOROSIL®
MOROSIL® contains active substances (flavonoids and others) able to affect the metabolism of adipocytes, the primary site of energy storage and accumulation of lipids during nutritional excess in the body. In the last years, in vivo and in vitro studies demonstrated that flavonoids are able to affect lipid metabolism through specific molecular actions (2-6). For example, anthocyanins showed to ameliorate adipocyte metabolism by modulation of gene expression factors related to lipid metabolism (2-6).
In the clinical trial published in Nat Prod Res (1), it has been proven that Moro orange (Citrus sinensis (L.) Osbeck) extract supplementation is able to counteract fat accumulation and weight gain in the human body. Results obtained in the study showed that, after 12 weeks of treatment (n=30; 400 mg/die), MOROSIL® intake is able to induce a significant reduction in body weight, BMI, waist and hip circumference in comparison with the untreated group (Fig.1).
Fig. 1 Variations in body weight, BMI, waist and hip circumference from baseline to 12 weeks in the Placebo and in MOROSIL® extract supplementation group – data from Cardile et al. (1).
1. Cardile V, et al., Clinical evaluation of Moro (Citrus sinensis (L.) Osbeck) orange juice supplementation for the weight management. Nat Prod Researches 15:1-5 (2015).
2. Titta L, et al., Blood orange juice inhibits fat accumulation in mice. Int J Obesity 34(3):578-588 (2009).
3. Tsuda T, et al., Microarray profiling of gene expression in human adipocytes in response to anthocyanins. Biochem Pharmacol 71:1184–1197 (2006).
4. Tsuda T., Regulation of Adipocyte Function by Anthocyanins; Possibility of Preventing the Metabolic Syndrome. J Agric Food Chem 56:642–646 (2008).
5. Tsuda T et al., Anthocyanin enhances adipocytokine secretion and adipocyte-specific gene expression in isolated rat adipocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 316(1):149-157 (2004).
6. Guo H, et al., Cyanidin 3-glucoside protects 3T3-L1 adipocytes against H2O2- or TNF-α-induced insulin resistance by inhibiting c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase activation. Biochem Pharmacol 75:1393–1401 (2008).