Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) comes from Per˘ and the plant was diffused among Aztecs 3000 years before the conquistadores' arrival. At the beginning, it was used as an ornament because considered poisonous. Since 1700, tomato is appreciated worldwide for its unique taste and for its many different uses. The major by-products of the tomato processing industry are seeds. Tomato oil is a virgin oil obtained by cold pressing. It contains remarkable amount of carotenoids, tocopherols, vitamin C, phenolic compounds and phytosterols.
1) Lars Mu?ller et al., Antioxidant Capacity of Tomato Seed Oil in Solution and Its Redox Properties in Cultured Macrophages, J. Agric. Food Chem. 2013, 61, 346?354
2)M Andreassi et al., Antioxidant activity of topically applied lycopene, JEADV (2004) 18, 52-55
Tomato oil has a typical reddish orange colour due to the presence of carotenoids, in particular lycopene, lutein and zeaxanthin. It is an excellent antioxidant, more than pure lycopene, as reported in scientific literature, clearly underlying the presence of other antioxidants. The oil acts as an inhibitor of several free radical species, of the expression of oxidative stress-induced proteins and of the lipid peroxidation. The oil provides strong protection against UV, reducing some effects like the formation of wrinkles. Phytosterols stimulate the synthesis of elastin which has a key role in the maintenance of cutaneous tone. It is a stable oil, able to deeply penetrate the epidermis. These features make the oil ideal for mature, dry and damaged skin and also for hair. Its low viscosity allows a quick absorption and it is recommended for oily and acne prone skin.APPEARANCE AND SENSORIALITY: Tomato oil has an orange translucent hue and a mild smell. It is quickly absorbed by the skin and does not leave an oily feel.
- Skin care (Facial care, Facial cleansing, Body care, Baby care)
- Antiaging formulations (anti wrinkles serum..)
- Hair care (damaged or normal hair)
- Lip care
- Sun care products (Sun protection, After-sun & Self-tanning)
- After shave products
- Cosmeceutical formulations
- Decorative cosmetics/Make-up