The olive tree is the symbol of longevity and beauty in the Mediterranean culture and its health properties had been recognized since very old times. Recent archaeological research on cosmetic products has identified olive oil as the principal make-up ingredient used by the Romans and Cleopatra also. In the cosmetic world the prevention of skin-aging and UV-induced photo-degenerating processes are among the most explored topics.
OLEA-HT 10 is a bright yellow powder containing hydroxytyrosol (10% HPLC) extracted from olive fruits (Olea Europaea L.) using the original process.
WHAT IT DOES
OLEA-HT 10 shows very high antioxidant power and it can be used to prevent skin photo-aging and related diseases. The radical scavenger action of hydroxytyrosol has been proved in several in vitro and in vivo studies (1-4), showing a preventive activity on aging and chronic degenerative skin diseases. OLEA-HT 10 is able to:
- counteract wrinkles development and skin hyperpigmentation caused by UV radiations.
- get soothing effect through the inhibition of nuclear factor κB (NF- κB) responsible for the free radical-induced inflammatory activity.
HOW TO USE
OLEA-HT 10 is an ingredient created for body and face formulations (emulsions, lotions gels, detergents, etc) specifically aimed at counteract photo-aging and skin spots.
Recommended usage concentration: 1-2% (w/w)
SCIENTIFIC INVESTIGATIONS OF OLEA-HT 10
OLEA-HT 10 activity is supported by in vitro and in vivo tests. The mechanism underlying its anti-aging effect consists in reactive oxygen species scavenging capability and the block of improper extracellular matrix rearrangements occurring during oxidative damage. In a vitro test, carried out on human keratinocytes (HaCaT) irradiated for 24 hours with UVB radiations, it has been evaluated the efficacy of OLEA-HT 10 to modulate cellular response using lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) leakage assay and the Trypan blue staining. As reported in literature, the most evident cytotoxic effects of UVB radiations were observed after 24 hours (5). Our preliminary data in vitro showed that OLEA-HT 10 is potentially able to efficiently counteract UVB-induced damage and in particular some events associated to inflammation and apoptosis, such as NF-κB activation (6). This activity could be attributed to the block of cellular oxidative stress and related events. Moreover, a clinical trial has been performed to evaluate skin photo-protective and anti-aging effects. The photo-protective effects of OLEA-HT 10 against UV-induced skin erythema was evaluated on healthy volunteers using an objective instrumental method (reflectance spectrophotometry). Data obtained from the study showed that treatment with OLEA-HT 10 leads a significant reduction in the UV-induced skin erythema degree (about 35%). In conclusion OLEA-HT 10 can strengthen physiological antioxidant skin defences, protecting from damaging processes involved in photo-aging and leading to an improvement in skin tone and appearance.
Fig 1. Protective effects of OLEA-HT 10 on UVB-induced damages
Fig.2 Mean area under curve values (AUC±SD ) of UV-induced skin erythema before and after application of a cream containing OLEA-HT 10 (1.5%)
1. Guo W, et al., The protective effects of hydroxytyrosol against UVB-induced DNA damage in HaCaT cells. Phytother Res 24(3): 352-9 (2010).
2. D’Angelo S, et al., Hydroxytyrosol, a natural antioxidant from olive oil, prevents protein damage induced by long-wave ultraviolet radiation in melanoma cells. Free RadicBiol Med 38(7): 908-19 (2005).
3. Killeen MJ, et al., NF-κB signaling and chronic inflammatory diseases: exploring the potential of natural products to drive new therapeutic opportunities. Drug Discovery Today 19(4): 373–378 (2014).
4. Luder M, et al., Hydroxytyrosol from olives, an interesting radical scavenger for cosmetic applications. SOFW Journal 134(7): 44-50 (2008).
5. Matsumura Y, et al., Toxic effects of ultraviolet radiation on the skin. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 195: 298–308 (2004).
6. Bionap report. Photo-protective effects of OLEA-HT 10 (2013).