Physical protection of mucosal surface and lenitive/soothing activity are two important requirements of formulations designed for sensitive mucosae. Symptoms of sensitive mucosae are due to the disruption of the physiological barrier that makes them more and more vulnerable to external agents, causing therefore irritation, pain and discomfort. MUCOSAVE® CG is a powder extract specifically designed for topical mucosal protection, particularly for sensitive mucosae. It is a blend of two herbal extracts: polysaccharides from cladodes of Opuntia ficus indica and biophenols from olive leaves (Olea europaea).
WHAT IT DOES
Mucosave® CG exerts a double action: a strong mucoadhesivity due to Opuntia polysaccharides which also have a wound-healing effect and a lenitive action from olive biophenols (1-6).
MUCOSAVE® CG is a patented* ingredient that can be used as supportive treatment for mucosal inflammatory reactions and other mucosal conditions (oral and vaginal candidiasis, aphthae, hemorrhoids etc.).
HOW TO USE
MUCOSAVE® CG can be added to topical products designed to protect mucous membranes (intimate washes, vaginal gels, toothpastes, mouthwashes, medical devices etc. ) and to facilitate wound-healing processes.
Recommended usage concentration: 2-3% (w/w).
*Compositions for the treatment of hemorrhoids and related diseases- PCT/EP2010/005346
SCIENTIFIC INVESTIGATIONS OF MUCOSAVE® CG PROTECTION
Experimental studies (5) carried out on mucous membrane cell lines showed that MUCOSAVE® CG has a strong mucoadhesive activity (50% of cell surface), higher than other bioadhesive polymers such as hyaluronic acid (Fig.1). This new in vitro model is based on the competition in the binding of lectin and tested polymers to the mucosal surface glycoproteins and it is able to evaluate the mucoadhesivity by objective instrumental assessment.
Fig.1 Mucoadhesivity percentage of MUCOSAVE® CG
Moreover, experimental results obtained from in vitro intestinal cell models (Fig.2), predicting of in vivo behaviour, proved that the combination of extracts contained in MUCOSAVE® CG can counteract the overproduction of the intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1), specifically involved in mucosal inflammatory processes (5).
Fig.2 Expression of induced inflammatory mediator ICAM-1 in intestinal cell model
1. Galati EM, et al., Antiulcer activity of Opuntia ficus indica (L.) Mill. (Cactaceae): ultrastructural study. J Ethnopharmacol 76:1-9 (2001).
2. Galati EM, et al., Study on the increment of the production of gastric mucus in rats treated with Opuntia ficus indica (L.) Mill. cladodes. J Ethnopharmacol 83:229-233 (2002).
3. Trombetta D, et al., Effect of polysaccharides from Opuntia ficus indica (L.) cladodes on the healing of dermal wounds in the rat. Phytomed 13:352-358 (2006).
4. Dekanski D, et al., Attenuation of cold restraint stress-induced gastric lesions by an olive leaf extract. Gen Physiol Biophys 28:135-142 (2009).
5. Compositions for the treatment of hemorrhoids and related diseases - PCT/EP2010/005346 (patent).
6. Rizza L, et al., Caco-2 cell line as a model to evaluate mucoprotective proprieties. Int J Pharm 422(1-2):318-322 (2012).